How the Kenyan Education System will be transformed by the approved Competency Based Curriculum

The new curriculum guideline will require the learners to take 2 years in pre-primary school, six years in primary, three years in junior secondary, three years in senior secondary and finally another three years in the university (2-6-3-3-3). This is totally a transformation from the old system where learners were obligated to spend eight years in primary, four years in secondary school and another four years in the university to complete the 8-4-4 system.

The new curriculum is anticipated to equip students with applied abilities for self-sufficiency unlike the old curriculum which was simply a hypothetical class.

Major Modifications

A portfolio of modifications which are intended to safeguard a smooth switch from the old curriculum was developed by the Education task force.

The important alterations among which were suggested was how exams were to be directed and advancement of students to the next class. At the early stages, the task force had opted to doing away with the Kenya Certificate of Primary Education (KCPE).

KCPE and Adjustment of exams

The professionals had recommended that schools should be permitted to collaborate with the Kenya National Examination Council (KNEC) to evaluate pupils through endless exams and endorse their advancement to the succeeding class. The KCPE exams will be done by pupils in Grade 6 which will only give up to 40% of the total marks a candidate can score. The other 60% will be an addition of the candidate’s overall performance in all the examinations done in his or her particular school.

The council of examination will be given a task of merging and adding the two examinations to get the ultimate score achieved by each candidate.

Grade 9 and Grade 12 exams

All the pupils in grade 6 will attend junior secondary schools for a period of 3 years then further progress to senior secondary for the next 3 years then later join college for the ending 3 years.

Upon completion of junior secondary (Grade 9), student will undergo a comprehensive and developmental examination that will enable teachers to nature them into a factual career upon joining senior secondary. After completion of senior secondary (Grade 12), the students will under-go another examination to be endorsed to universities and colleges.

Students in senior secondary school will also have a chance to register for Technical and Vocational Education and Training (TVET) according to their skills and vocations.

Double transition

It was projected that a catastrophe may rise in 2020 by the task force when students in Grade 6 in the new curriculum will be doing their KCPE together with the Standard Eight fellows in the old curriculum.

This might force the Ministry of Education to plan ahead and know how they will put up with both groups in junior secondary school (Form One) to prevent the catastrophe.

Being mindful of the encounters and complications in progressing to the new curriculum, the President came up with a new state department for the execution of curriculum modifications to lead the course. President Uhuru also requested the universities to begin organizing how they will welcome the first squad of CBC learners in the year 2029. 

Share, follow and like Sichwa:

Have a News Tip or an Article? Email us at or
WhatsApp +254751956329.

You can also Join us on Telegram(www.t.me/sichwa) for instant updades on Sichwa Jobs , Sichwa Sports , Sichwa News and Sichwa Posts

Related posts